Limerick Golf Club has been at its present location in Ballyclough since 1919, having been at a number of different locations around Limerick city and its environs since its foundation in 1891.
The first 18 holes at this site were laid out in 1926, based on a design by Lionel Hewson, measuring 4633 yards in length and with a bogey of 70.
The course was altered the following year according to Dr. Alister McKenzie’s recommendations, increasing its length to approximately 5450 yards.
More land was acquired in 1937 and the course was substantially altered and extended, based on a design by Mr. McAllister, the then Professional to Portmarnock Golf Club.
The course laid out at that time has remained largely unchanged to this day, apart from the rearrangement of the order of holes to suit the site of the new clubhouse erected in 1966, which persisted for 41 years, until the course was re-routed once more to suit the site of the present clubhouse, opened in 2007.
The course starts off benignly enough with a couple of shortish opening holes, but beware of the treachorous second green. Any sense of security that may have set in from playing these is quickly dispelled as the fifth hole is negotiated. This is a monstrous hole and demands two big shots to a well protected green.
After this, the golfer is well and truly into the round at Ballyclough. The course is a mix of demanding holes interspersed with some good birdie chances, notably the tenth and the short fifteenth.
The long eight is an outstanding hole, with a stream meandering its way through it, coming into play for all shots to a severely sloping green.
Another notable hole is the seventeenth, one of the surviving McKenzie holes, a downhill, sharp dogleg, with a severely undulating green.
An extensive drainage and sanding programme implemented during the 2000s, transformed the course into one of the driest and most playable parkland courses in the entire Mid-West region.